Ditson ReTop

By Mr. Joe Sustaire of Talihina, OK
burge guitar shop
Include Off Topic: Yes

Re: Ditson ReTop

Post by burge guitar shop » Fri Jun 25, 2010 5:24 pm

Hey Joe,
Looks like you have about whipped this one back into shape.
It looks great.
Jess
Years ago I started out with nothing, and now I still have most of it left.

odge52

Post by odge52 » Fri Aug 03, 2012 11:00 am

Hi Joe,

Garry Hallam introduced me to the forum when I bought one of his excellent binding machines. That guy is seriously good when it comes to making tools. We live close to each other in Manchester although we hadn't met until a couple of months ago. I've been building guitars on and off for several years. I've built in a variety of designs mainly based on Gibsons and Martins, plus a few of my own. Without exception they've all been x-braced. I've been lucky enough to sell them. I get enough orders to keep me as busy as I want to be, mainly from playing friends and by word of mouth. One of my good customers is a blues fanatic. So far he's bought three guitars from me and has asked me to build him three more. Having seen a Stella 12 string on YouTube, he saw the Stella Barbecue Bob reproduction 12 string made by Michael Hauver. He wants 12 and 6 string models (complete with repro binding, purfling, tuners etc. etc.) At Garry's suggestion I searched the forum looking for posts on ladder bracing, Stella Guitars etc. He mentioned you and the guitars you build so I've had a look at your posts. Fantastic stuff! I wonder if you can help me. Plans would be great if you have them, but if not do you have dimensions etc. Me and Garry are just about to embark on a buddy build of a Taylor Grand Symphony. The molds and formers are built and the wood ready so we're ready to go. I'd also like to make a start on the Stellas pretty soon. I like to build two or three at a time to keep things moving. I'd really appreciate any advice you can give me, anything at all that will make things a bit easier building the Stellas.

kind regards,

Brian

gilmoreguitars

Post by gilmoreguitars » Fri Aug 03, 2012 6:45 pm

I bow down to you sir.
Nicely done!
David G.
"I was gonna get up off this barstool just as soon as I could figure it out..."
http://www.gilmoreguitars.ca

Joe Sustaire

Post by Joe Sustaire » Fri Aug 03, 2012 8:52 pm

Hey Brian, I just saw your post. Sounds like your into some fun builds!

Other than my build threads I'm not sure I can be much help. I'm a pretty intuitive builder and just kind of jump out there, so no plans and and records/dimensions I make are hopefully in the build threads. Other than documenting the builds I'm afraid I don't keep very good records.

The one tip I can offer on ladder bracing is one I got from Todd Cambio who builds some great vintage style guitars, check out Fraulini Guitars. Anyway, he suggested making the top thicker around 0.135", to counter the "potato chip curl" tendency of such a simplified bracing system.

Good luck and we'd love to follow along with some of your builds, esp. the ladder bracing since we don't see much of that.

Joe

PS.... thanks David!
"I tell you we are here on earth to fart around, and don't let anyone tell you any different!"
Kurt Vonnegut

odge52

Post by odge52 » Sat Aug 04, 2012 3:51 am

Hi Jo

Thanks - I'll go through your threads carefully and do as much research as I can, but at the end of the day I think you're right. I just need to do what you did and get on and try it. I've built a couple of X-braced small bodied 14 fret 12 strings in the past that (fingers crossed) are still in one piece. One in particular shouldn't be - the guy that bought it uses standard tuning and a mixture of medium and light strings and plays it hard. One of these days it's going to explode and kill him and seriously injure anyone within 50 feet. With the 26.5" Stella scale it could be issued to soldiers as a WMD.

I'll take your advice on top thickness and make sure the ones I use are good and stiff.

I noticed in one of the threads that there was some debate about Bridge Doctors. I'd just like to add my experience of them. I've used them on quite a few guitars including the 12 strings. I've used both types on both new builds and retro fits. I like them. Having had the chance to measure before and after I really do believe they improve tone and sustain. I think they must act like a violin sound post like JLD claims. I don't do many repairs but I've also used them to correct bridge rotation and correct the dip in front of the bridges of old guitars. I've also experimented using them to allow for lighter main braces. My experience of the company was first class. I emailed them for information and prices. They sent free samples and said "try them". That's confidence in your product!

Sorry for rambling on Joe - I should go and make a start.

Cheers

Brian