Brian's backyard build challenge

Times are tough, the world's economy is takin' a beating; What should conscientious luthiers do in response?! How about some scrounge builds! Nothin' fancy, nothin' from far away, and lots of imagination...
Brian Itzkin
Include Off Topic: Yes

Brian's backyard build challenge

Post by Brian Itzkin » Tue Sep 20, 2011 7:43 pm

1. Start a new thread within the Back Yard Builds forum,
2. Name it ____'s Back Yard Build.
3. Tell us which Division you wanna enter,
4. Give us basic spec's on what instrument you're gonna build
5. Give us any specific information that you've already got planned, (And if not don't worry, just do it later)

Ok, so I'll enter the midnight recon devision. I'm thinking my version of a 1930 2-17. That means all mahogany body, no binding, mahogany neck, rosewood bridge, fingerboard and headplate, and spruce tonebars.

For my wood, I plan on using mahogany that was once a piece of mahogany moulding that hung in a NYC bank for over 100 years and my neighbor gave to me in exchange for watching his cats while he was away for a week. I'll use that for the top, back, sides, and neck. The braces will be the QS spruce that the pallets of all of my dads new shop equipment came in. For a fingerboard, bridge, and head plate I'm going to do some dumpster diving. Pics to come soon.

Brian

whitespruce
Site Admin

Re: Brian's backyard build challenge

Post by whitespruce » Tue Sep 20, 2011 9:20 pm

Hey, since you are building a 2-17, here is a thread for inspiration :D

viewtopic.php?f=55&t=1512

G

Brian Itzkin

Post by Brian Itzkin » Thu Sep 22, 2011 5:49 pm

Hey, thanks. That 2-17 looks nice, its a shame about all those not so great repairs it had before you owned it.

The 2-17 is quickly becoming my favorite martin model, I've played about 6 and have loved them all. I wish I could say the same thing about the 10 or so 30's and 40's D-28's I've played....

I'm lucky that my dad bought new shop tools, because now not only do I have a bandsaw, but I can reuse the perfectly quartersawn sitka spruce crate material as bracewood. :D

Brian Itzkin

Post by Brian Itzkin » Sun Nov 20, 2011 12:03 am

Sorry about the delay in this thread, my dad bought this bandsaw, but we didn't have the right type of outlets and there needed to be a new "homerun" or something. The electrician is coming in a few days so we can finally fire this thing up.