L-1 Gibson Build

By Mr. Joe Sustaire of Talihina, OK
Joe Sustaire
Include Off Topic: Yes

L-1 Gibson Build

Post by Joe Sustaire » Tue Jul 05, 2011 4:33 pm

As a country blues lover, this has been on my build list for a long time. I'm using a body tracing that I got from Rod True of a 1927 Nick Lucas L-1 and a set of plans that John Steele from ANZLF drew up and sent me. Big thanks guys!

I'm using a lutz spruce top with a simple rosette using some b/maple/b purfling that I made up some time back.

And an inlaid ivoroid sound-hole binding like Haans uses on his Larkins Bros. builds.

And I'm also going with an oak back.

But the sides are african mahogany, since the matching squirrelly grained sides only wanted to crack.

Birch ply tail-block, black walnut neck block, traditional kerfed lining that I made, and ribbon side reinforcements set in hhg.

Pretty standard back bracing.

And now to the top bracing. These were braced many different ways, from ladder bracing, to V bracing, to X bracing. So since there was really no standard on these I decided it would be good to try Haans's latest bracing brainstorm, the X brace/ladder combination. The idea being to combine X bracing's stability with ladder bracing's sound quality.
Here it is all carved down, and I tell you it's tapping good. You might just be onto something here Haans!
I try to only steal from the best! :lol:

Thanks,
Joe
"I tell you we are here on earth to fart around, and don't let anyone tell you any different!"
Kurt Vonnegut

Jim

Re: L-1 Gibson Build

Post by Jim » Tue Jul 05, 2011 6:02 pm

That's a beautiful oak back! Too bad the sides wouldn't bend propely. But I think a simple mahogany will go well with the back. I've often wondered why builders almost always (if not truly always) build with sides and back from the same woods.

Jim
"When people hear good music, it makes them homesick for something they never had and never will have." -- Edgar Watson Howe

Haans

Post by Haans » Tue Jul 05, 2011 6:59 pm

Hey now!
Good start guy...
That oak can be a little tough to bend when it's got a lot of rays. Got to be pretty QS, and did you use SS2 before bending, Joe? Really helps...
Hope the bracing works out for ya. I'm half way through bracing the new 12 with the ladder-X.
And no worries anyone trying it...I ain't got the trademark on nothin' AND I steal enough from everybody else too. I just don't think anyone can make a truly original anything anymore. There's too many of us ants on this planet.
Johann D. Brentrup
http://www.brentrup.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

michael

Post by michael » Tue Jul 05, 2011 7:05 pm

Hey Joe,
That's a good looking start. I'm anxious to hear how that bracing sounds. I'm starting a new Mohogany b/s Sitka top and would like to do something unusual.
Mike

Fred Blom

Post by Fred Blom » Wed Jul 06, 2011 5:50 am

Nice beginnings, Joe. I'm always excited to see how your builds come together. Already the "Sustaire Elegance" is shining through. Let it keep on shining.
Fred Blom
Remember the joy of the journey

DaveAnderson

Post by DaveAnderson » Thu Jul 07, 2011 6:39 pm

Sweeet oak there Joe.- Shes looking real good so far!
Anderson Guitars
Clearwater,Fl.

Brian Itzkin

Post by Brian Itzkin » Sun Aug 21, 2011 4:16 pm

That Oak is incredibly striking, I can't wait to see what this guitar will look like. I hope you do a hand rubbed burst like the originals have :D

The L-1 is one of the best guitars ever IMHO,

Rod True

Post by Rod True » Mon Aug 22, 2011 4:22 pm

Looking great Joe! So happy to see another one of these in the works. I really want to make another one soon, but with redwood for the top, haven't decided the back yet. Keep us posted.

Oh, are you going 12 fret or 14 fret to the body? What scale you going with too....
__________________________________________________________________________________________

Here's my shop

Tassie Blackwood/Lutz OSJ build