What to build

Guitars by Grant Goltz of Hackensack, MN
whitespruce
Site Admin
Include Off Topic: Yes

Re: What to build

Post by whitespruce » Wed Sep 22, 2010 12:43 pm

sustaireblues wrote:Grant the slope shoulder that I built I believe is based on the old martin 12 fret model. JJ Donahue sent me a tracing of the drawing he got from John Hall of bluescreek fame and he's a martin repair guy. JJ did a 12 string build thread here on the forum from this drawing. I can trace my copy for you if you wish. Now I believe the Gibson J-45 is pretty much considered a slope shoulder 14 fretter, so you might want to check that out. Stew-mac carries some plans for that drawn by Michael Collins taken from a 1957 model.

Get building! :lol:

Joe
Joe, thenks. Ya, the more drawings and other information I can assemble, the better. I do have a copy of a 12 string plan that looks like a slope shoulder shape. It is 12 frets to the body.

G

Fred Blom

Post by Fred Blom » Wed Sep 22, 2010 3:19 pm

Grant, I have the Michael Collins 1957 J-45 plans and am gearing up for building that. It is 14 frets and a 24.75 in scale. I'd be happy to share the plans with you. I, like Dennis, prefer that shape for a dread.
Fred Blom
Remember the joy of the journey

whitespruce
Site Admin

Post by whitespruce » Wed Sep 22, 2010 10:00 pm

Thanks Fred, Yes I would like to see that plan sometime, if possible.

Well, I have no patience, so I went looking for some of the wood that I will need. Several months ago I had resawn some white cedar tops, but I was not completely satisfied with them. So I had this big log laying outside. It is hollow, but has 8" of good wood on one side. So I cut off a 22" long section and split out a billet with a perfectly quartered edge. Then I trued it up a bit.
I used this cool Grandfors Swedish carving axe that Kevin from Winnipeg gave me when he was down to build the canoe. I have coveted this axe for a long time in the Lee Valley catalog, but never could quite muster up the balls to pay the price. I almost fell over when he gave me this very axe that had been his for years...means way more to me than if I had bought it.

Another shot of the billet

And a view of the end showing the quartering

I took it down to the bandsaw and ran it through a few times until I had the face well cleaned up, then slabbed off a few slices
A couple of these should make a fine top, very uniform close grain lines.

And here is the African blackwood that I am thinking of using for the back
A few small checks that will need to be CA'ed, but that is not unusual for AB

On another note, here is the back that I am thinking of using for the size 2 Martin copy
If you would rather I use something more mundane, just say so ;)

And any other suggestions are always welcome. I will put this wood on the "to build with" shelf and wait another 3 or 4 weeks for the cedar to dry.

G

mziegler

Post by mziegler » Thu Sep 23, 2010 5:25 am

Always love to see you get into your woodpile!! That is some spectacular stuff. and talk about being right on quarter :whis:

I've no doubt you will make the right choice for a build-tough choice.

MikeZ
Jerry Garcia said of Clarence, "He brought a kind of swing, a rhythmic openness, to bluegrass ...Bluegrass is a kind of forward-leaning music. Clarence's playing was way in the back of the beat, and so added an openness that was really breathtaking."

Dennis Leahy
Dishwasher

Post by Dennis Leahy » Thu Sep 23, 2010 10:54 pm

Well, if that doesn't inspire you, I don't know what will!

Gorgeous material, and cool projects ahead!

Dennis
Dennis Leahy

Edward Taylor

Post by Edward Taylor » Fri Sep 24, 2010 7:28 am

The white cedar looks really nice! ABW looks great too. Excited to see this one!
As the famed philosopher, Pogo Possum’s friend Porky, observed, “There’s only two possibilities: Either we is the most intelligent life in the universe, or there is life out there which is more intelligent than we are. Either way, it’s a mighty sobering thought.”