First Parter Guitar

Yes, it's true, not all guitars are acoustics; some have single coils and some have buckers, and all of those have some serious electrons. Build 'em, work on 'em, mods, questions, Put 'em here!
Dennis Mitchell
Include Off Topic: Yes

Re: First Parter Guitar

Post by Dennis Mitchell » Tue Sep 22, 2009 6:13 pm

Thanks Arnt! I agree with 100%, it's certainly not everybody's thing, but for the right person, it will be golden. On archery, I like a heavy arrow, as most places I hunt have a lot of scrub brush and are densely wooded. So a good heavy arrow that will plow through the foliage is a good thing! :mrgreen: Never tried making footed arrows, but may have to when I find some of those extra hours. ;)
Dennis Mitchell

"Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, a charm to sadness, gaiety and life to everything. It is the essence of order and lends to all that is good and just and beautiful."
PLATO

Dennis Mitchell

Post by Dennis Mitchell » Thu May 13, 2010 9:48 pm

Well, I'm FINALLY back in the saddle on this build (and hopefully others!) :mrgreen: Just ordered the neck, tuners, bridge, and electrical stuff to wrap this one up. As for pick ups, I'm waiting to hear back from Ryan Gadow on a set of his hand wound P90's. The neck is from Warmoth, and is maple with an ebony 10"-16" radius fret board, MOP dots, and 6130 fret wire. Now.....to start shooting nitro if the darn Texas spring weather will calm down for a few days! :wallbang: Pics as soon as I make some visual progress.
Dennis Mitchell

"Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, a charm to sadness, gaiety and life to everything. It is the essence of order and lends to all that is good and just and beautiful."
PLATO

DennisK

Post by DennisK » Fri May 14, 2010 3:27 am

Whoa, that is indeed some nice airbrush work. I never ran across this build before, but glad to hear you're back on it. And I feel your pain with the weather, it's no different up here in Missouri :D No tornadoes nearby yet, but wind and rain and lightning and a bit of hail yesterday, and more predicted for the rest of the week. I love storm season, but it's frustrating when I'm just ready to do bracing. Oh well, there's always fingerboard and neck work to be done while I wait for a run of stable humidity.

Also, I think this forum has a surplus of Dennises :lol:

Aoibeann

Post by Aoibeann » Fri May 14, 2010 1:37 pm

Cool! I've been thinking about this one. Looking forward to seeing it finished. Hope you'll be able to post some sound clips of it as well.
Lillian

Pat Foster

Post by Pat Foster » Fri May 14, 2010 2:41 pm

Awe-some.

That "kid" might be able to make a name for himself among electric builders, sort of a Joe White with an airbrush!

Pat
"The large print giveth, and the small print taketh away." — Tom Waits

http://www.patfosterguitars.com

Dennis Mitchell

Post by Dennis Mitchell » Sat May 15, 2010 12:52 pm

Thanks gang! Should have the neck and hardware in a week or so, not sure on the pick ups since Ryan didn't have any wound and ready to ship. ONly problem with sound clips is where to store them. Hopefully my new web hosting plan will give me that. I recently snagged a Line6 Pod Pro, so I can have a blast getting all sorts of sounds from it. Of course some raw audio with it plugged into my old Fender Super will be mandatory as well.

DennisK: I knew it looked nasty up that way. I love watching the storms, but the humidity swings are a real PITA. Some of my Winfield camp mates live in KC. Might should give them a phone call today.

Pat, that's the idea behind this build, to show off his art work. I just emailed a picture to Ryan Gadow when I ordered the pick ups. Maybe something will come of it!

I'll be sure to pass along everyone's compliments to the artist, thanks!
Dennis Mitchell

PLATO

Dennis Mitchell

Post by Dennis Mitchell » Thu May 20, 2010 8:45 pm

Gadow P90's it is! Talked with Ryan and these puppies will be hot off the winder. :dance
Oh.....they'll have black covers. :twisted:

Here's the technical question for tonight:
Suggestions for a pair of P90's and a 3 way switch?
Looking at two choices for volume/tone pots- 250k pots with a 22uf cap or 500k with a 47uf cap.
Current plan is the 250k set up.

And...the neck and other goodies shipped today. :mrgreen:

Note to Mother Nature: Would you please chill out with all these thunderstorms so I can shoot some nitro?
Dennis Mitchell

PLATO

Dennis Mitchell

Post by Dennis Mitchell » Thu May 27, 2010 10:17 pm

The box-o-guitar parts has arrived! The neck is even better than I had imagined. :mrgreen: Pics to follow after the holiday weekend.
Dennis Mitchell

PLATO