Grand Concert for Freegift, Builder Swap

By Mr. Joe Sustaire of Talihina, OK
Joe Sustaire
Include Off Topic: Yes

Re: Grand Concert for Freegift, Builder Swap

Post by Joe Sustaire » Fri Apr 23, 2010 9:12 am

Thank you Dennis, above and beyond the call! Like I say this was probably braced before I started monitoring humidity. The last couple of boxes I've braced and closed I was using my hair hygrometer, built up the wood fire and got the humidity down in the shop and pre-heated plates and braces on a rack over the stove before gluing with HHG. So maybe I'm learning something here. :D

Or maybe I should see about getting satellite tv and forget the "joys" of creative achievement! :lol:
You know, it's kind of like the "easy" money your making here from selling tonewood to friends. :D

Ya' just gotta laugh,
Joe
"I tell you we are here on earth to fart around, and don't let anyone tell you any different!"
Kurt Vonnegut

Garry Hallam

Post by Garry Hallam » Fri Apr 23, 2010 11:10 am

sustaireblues wrote:
Or maybe I should see about getting satellite tv and forget the "joys" of creative achievement! :lol:

Ya' just gotta laugh,
Joe
No, no, no, Joe. You'll just end up watching 'How its Made' and then before you know it you'll be building Pianos :lol:

Sorry to hear you are having problems!
Garry
Silly rule golden words make, practice practice makes perfect,
Perfect is a fault, and fault lines change - Michael Stipe

Dennis Leahy
Dishwasher

Post by Dennis Leahy » Fri Apr 23, 2010 11:14 am

sustaireblues wrote:Thank you Dennis, above and beyond the call! Like I say this was probably braced before I started monitoring humidity. The last couple of boxes I've braced and closed I was using my hair hygrometer, built up the wood fire and got the humidity down in the shop and pre-heated plates and braces on a rack over the stove before gluing with HHG. So maybe I'm learning something here. :D

You know, it's kind of like the "easy" money your making here from selling tonewood to friends. :D

Ya' just gotta laugh,
Joe
Not above and beyond what friends do for friends.

Hold off on getting satellite TV. In 2012 I think we're going to be able to directly decode the signals with our brains. (Oh, what an awful thought! 200 more channels of useless chatter flowing through my brain!)

Yep, if I can sell a few more sets, I should be ready to retire in the style to which I've become accustomed. :lol:

Dennis
Dennis Leahy

Eben
Chairman Emeritus

Post by Eben » Fri Apr 23, 2010 6:41 pm

If I know D.K., I'd say this: If it still sounds good, then cleat and glue 'em or fill 'em and don't feel bad for a minute: A vibe's a vibe and this one rocks!

JM2CW...

Urb
‘I love America - I just dont know how to get there anymore.’

John Prine

UrbanMonique Food Blog

Dennis Leahy
Dishwasher

Post by Dennis Leahy » Fri Apr 23, 2010 7:03 pm

USPS has your wood - should arrive Moonday or Twosday at the latest.

Dennis
Dennis Leahy

Joe Sustaire

Post by Joe Sustaire » Sat Apr 24, 2010 12:20 pm

Thanks E, I appreciate it!

Dennis, looks like you're right. We've had two days of rain here and the cracks have pretty much closed up, so that tells me it must have been braced under very humid conditions, my bad. The temptation is to glue them up while they're closed but I bet it would just open up new cracks when it got into drier conditions.

Boy this learning can be a bitch! :lol:

I'll await your package Dennis, thanks,
Joe
"I tell you we are here on earth to fart around, and don't let anyone tell you any different!"
Kurt Vonnegut

Haans

Post by Haans » Mon Apr 26, 2010 6:19 am

Why won't you climate control your shop Joe? It's good money spent considering the alternatives...
Johann D. Brentrup
http://www.brentrup.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Joe Sustaire

Post by Joe Sustaire » Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:53 am

Well Haans, remember I'm back in the woods off the grid. When I use a power tool I have to crank up a generator. So what options does that leave me? Far as I've seen humidifiers and dehumidifiers run on ac and have to run all the time. Not an option.

So, best I can figure out is to monitor humidity and glue bracing and close the box under appropriate conditions as best I can. Obviously I didn't do that on this one. :dohh:

How did the old time builders handle it? Larson brothers etc.

Joe
Kurt Vonnegut