Retop; This Ain't No Vintage Martin!

By Mr. Joe Sustaire of Talihina, OK
Joe Sustaire
Include Off Topic: Yes

Re: Retop; This Ain't No Vintage Martin!

Post by Joe Sustaire » Mon Mar 08, 2010 5:16 pm

Glad you found an idea that could help Michael, naturally I stole it somewhere, just don't remember where. :D

Well filling the slot under the t-bar and gluing down the f/b overhang really stiffened up the neck/body join. Which is a good thing, only problem is I adjusted the neck set by trial without it so when I strung it up this time turns out I actually overset the neck, because now it doesn't dip in under tension so my action is too low. Wound up having to shim the saddle nearly 1/8", luckily it had a deep slot so it worked out.

The zero fret on this one is a much taller fret than the rest. I've read that a zero fret can be the same fretwire as the rest? Anyway this one was too tall made fretting at the first fret very hard, so I filed it down till it's just a smidge taller than the rest, works much better.

I didn't have a 12 string tailpiece so I used an old 6 string tailpiece and widened the bottom of each slot so two strings could anchor in each hole.
Holds the strings well, but stringing is a bit of a pain, you have to get the tension on both strings together to keep them centered in the hole. Might have to change this out down the line.

So here's how it looks,
Now contrary to what you might think, this is not "relic'd", see this is just the effects of leveling the sides and binding in the retop process, and rather than restain or paint to cover, I decided to let the history show. :D Also took some 0000 steel wool to the neck and got rid of that horrible gloss plastic finish look it had. Looks and feels much better.
Anyway that's my story!

But the good news is, it sounds good and plays nice. Low action, leveled the frets, added side marker dots and it's ready to sing.

Joe
"I tell you we are here on earth to fart around, and don't let anyone tell you any different!"
Kurt Vonnegut

Joe Sustaire

Post by Joe Sustaire » Mon Mar 08, 2010 6:26 pm

Hey Michael, just wanted to add that actually I've been the answer to lots of girls prayers-------
------they prayed I'd go away, and I did! :lol:

Just wanted to say it's 16 1/8" lower bout, 25" scale, neck is a bit over 2" at the nut, a pretty good handful, thick and round. I strung it up with GHS Heavy strings for low tuning, 13 to 56 and have it tuned down 3 half steps to C sharp, but have been mainly playing it in open tunings, a real hoot for bottleneck and country blues!

Joe
"I tell you we are here on earth to fart around, and don't let anyone tell you any different!"
Kurt Vonnegut

JMPBuffalo

Post by JMPBuffalo » Mon Mar 08, 2010 7:24 pm

Hey,Joe,

Looks cool! "Distressed" is all the rage, and even better with a vintage sound!

About zero frets: yes, they can be the same fret size as the rest, which is what I did on my guitar, and I'm pleased with the action that way.

Joe
"Censorship? The whole principle is wrong; it's like demanding that grown men live on skim milk because the baby can't eat steak." Robert Anson Heinlein

Rod True

Post by Rod True » Mon Mar 08, 2010 9:17 pm

Joe, that is awesome! Bringing guitars back to life is a very noble and honerable thing. Way to go.
__________________________________________________________________________________________

Here's my shop

Tassie Blackwood/Lutz OSJ build

Colin S

Post by Colin S » Tue Mar 09, 2010 3:04 am

Joe, what a great guitar brought back to life in your hands. Now you've got to name it Irene in honour of Huddie J Leadbetter's heroine. If BB King can have his Lucille, then you can have your Irene.

Colin
There's the Socratic acceptance of the limits of one's own knowledge, then there's ignorance.

Joe Sustaire

Post by Joe Sustaire » Tue Mar 09, 2010 8:35 am

Thanks for the words guys! I'm really pleased to have turned a true piece of junk into something that is a real blast to play, it sure never sounded like this before! It still ain't no Martin, but hey, now it's a Sustaire! :lol:

And Colin, "Irene" it is, that fits her pretty well! :D

Joe
Kurt Vonnegut

DaveAnderson

Post by DaveAnderson » Tue Mar 09, 2010 8:53 pm

Great job bringing this one back Joe!
Anderson Guitars
Clearwater,Fl.

the Padma

Post by the Padma » Wed Mar 10, 2010 8:32 pm

Ya Joe,

looks good.

tP
The longest journey is from the head to the heart.