Grand Concert for Freegift, Builder Swap

By Mr. Joe Sustaire of Talihina, OK
Joe Sustaire
Include Off Topic: Yes

Re: Grand Concert for Freegift, Builder Swap

Post by Joe Sustaire » Thu Sep 03, 2009 6:16 pm

Glad you're liking it so far Dean.
I got the braces on the top carved today, just tapping and carving and listening till I get a nice even reverberating tone across the top. I still feel kind of lost doing this, haven't done enough tops to be sure of what I'm looking for. And of course the other tops are now finished guitars, so you're just relying upon memory and gut(intuitive) feeling for what's right. May the force be with me! :D

Basically at first the top is resonant in some places and kind of dead when tapped over the braces, so I carve away until the dead spots are gone and it has a nice even tone all over. And here's what it looks like.

So keep you're fingers crossed Dean, and holler if something doesn't look right to you!

Joe
"I tell you we are here on earth to fart around, and don't let anyone tell you any different!"
Kurt Vonnegut

Dean Kumbalek

Post by Dean Kumbalek » Thu Sep 03, 2009 8:16 pm

Nice....

After following a few of your builds and Haan's I got the Larson Brothers book.. and am very interested in various bracing schemes. Looks very cool from my perspective Joe! I see another article in FRETBOARD on the Larson's.

Dean
Last edited by Dean Kumbalek on Sun Sep 13, 2009 9:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

gilmoreguitars

Post by gilmoreguitars » Fri Sep 04, 2009 3:45 pm

Joe
Your bracing scheme is very elegant! I like that you are using your gut for this part of the process. It gets to a point where you just know when you have taken away enough material. It's one of my favorite things to do as well.
It's looking really good...actually...I have been looking in on both this and Deans builds and am a bit jealous!
Cheers
David
"I was gonna get up off this barstool just as soon as I could figure it out..."
http://www.gilmoreguitars.ca

Joe Sustaire

Post by Joe Sustaire » Fri Sep 04, 2009 4:13 pm

Dang it Dean! Now you went and cost me money. :D I didn't even know there was a book on the Larson bros. guitars, I'd just been watching what Hanns has been doing. So naturally I had to go and hunt up the book also, actually got lucky and found a new hardbound copy from a seller on amazon, the first 56 pages are busted loose from the binding but none are missing and the cd is still sealed, no bookjacket, but got it for $12.99. Right in my price range, so now I can study up also.

Thanks for looking in David and I welcome your thoughts! I know you "pro" builders don't have time to play like this, but yes, we are having fun! :lol: You might want to squeeze in a fun build when you can fit it in. Thanks for your comments!

Joe
"I tell you we are here on earth to fart around, and don't let anyone tell you any different!"
Kurt Vonnegut

Dean Kumbalek

Post by Dean Kumbalek » Fri Sep 04, 2009 7:41 pm

I enjoy your bracing pics Joe. That is cool to really see it before assembly! Very integrated and organic. I'll post a few too.

You will enjoy having that book in your arsenal.

Dean

DaveAnderson

Post by DaveAnderson » Fri Sep 04, 2009 9:51 pm

Looking very good Joe.I really like your bracing!
Anderson Guitars
Clearwater,Fl.

Lefty

Post by Lefty » Sat Sep 05, 2009 1:46 pm

Wow Joe.

That is really looking nice. Gonna be a real looker.

Lefty
No money Nathan. No money Marty. Just a roof over my head and a rockin chair by the fire.
(Mose Harper)

Steve "Lefty" Leff

garydemos

Post by garydemos » Mon Sep 07, 2009 4:46 am

Joe - your bracing system is certainly unique. You've indicated that you've used this pattern before. What do you like about it in terms of sound? How does it sound different than conventional steel string bracing? Ladder bracing usually produces a punchier tone and quicker response in small classical guitars. how is the bass response?

Thanks, Gary