Boycote / lutz build - Builder exchange

By Mr. Joe Sustaire of Talihina, OK
Dean Kumbalek
Include Off Topic: Yes

Re: Boycote / lutz build - Builder exchange

Post by Dean Kumbalek » Fri Sep 04, 2009 7:31 am

Joe-

My build process is heavily influenced by W. Cumpiano's book and method. That was my starting point. Yes, I build on a solera but my soundboard (ah..your soundboard ) has a 25' radius. Under the soundboard is a piece of cork and a piece of shy 1/4 ply about 1 1/2" wide which skirts the perimeter of the guitar outline. This supports the edges of the sound board and provides clearance for the radiused soundboard to be secured at the sound hole for the next steps of assembly, attaching the sides and finally the back.

My bracing generally follows the X line of thought keeping in mind "minimally braced structure". I use the best bracing material I can find and shave it thin when carving. This bracing is in the 35-50 grains per inch neighborhood so I am trying to keep it lighter by shaving the braces more and reducing mass on the top. The lower fan braces are an idea I saw on a Michael Gurian steel string in an old catalog I have and wanted to try it out. I figured the total mass of the three lower fan bracing and lower face brace is equal to or slightly less than two lower face braces. I realize one lower face brace alone might be enough too, but thought I'd try that on one of my own. We will see what the results will be!

I wonder if anyone out there has more information on M. Gurian's bracing scheme?

This top has some great color in it. I just realized I haven't posted a pic of the rosette yet, so I will. The rosette has a thin line of purple in the outer ring and a few lines of orange in the inner ring which really tie nicely with the colors in the top.

OH- the neck block is just sitting there for tracing the outline. The real one will have the mortise facing the neck! :?

Thanks,

Dean
Last edited by Dean Kumbalek on Fri Sep 04, 2009 9:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

verhoevenc

Post by verhoevenc » Fri Sep 04, 2009 9:45 am

I think these builders exchanges ya'll do on this forum are just the coolest/nicest thing!
Chris

Joe Sustaire

Post by Joe Sustaire » Fri Sep 04, 2009 4:01 pm

Thanks for the info Dean! I really like the looks of the fan bracing with one lower brace, glad you're trying it out. I know David Gilmore builds on a solera also, but I think he makes a true flattop. It's just fascinating to me the many different ways there are to wind up with a good guitar! But yeah, turning that neckblock around might be a good idea, unless you have further innovations to explore! :D

Thanks for chiming in Chris, and feel free to jump right in on the swap/build thing, just make a post stating your interest or pm someone you would like to do a build/swap with. The water's fine.

Joe
"I tell you we are here on earth to fart around, and don't let anyone tell you any different!"
Kurt Vonnegut

Dean Kumbalek

Post by Dean Kumbalek » Fri Sep 04, 2009 7:37 pm

Ok.. well I tried to take some pics showing the rosette and colors in the top but haven't nailed it yet..

Guess we'll have to wait a bit. Meanwhile two more pics of completed bracing of tsoundboard for Joe's amusement...

Nice to hear from you David. You were instrumental in getting me started building instrument.

Thanks,

Dean

Joe Sustaire

Post by Joe Sustaire » Sat Sep 05, 2009 8:50 am

It's looking great Dean! Fine bracing job and rosette, going to be a mighty fine geetar!

Joe
"I tell you we are here on earth to fart around, and don't let anyone tell you any different!"
Kurt Vonnegut

Lefty

Post by Lefty » Sat Sep 05, 2009 1:31 pm

Dean,

Don't turn the neck block around. Just modify it into a hinge so Joe can fold it up for storage. :)

The top looks great.

Lefty
No money Nathan. No money Marty. Just a roof over my head and a rockin chair by the fire.
(Mose Harper)

Steve "Lefty" Leff

Birdog

Post by Birdog » Thu Sep 10, 2009 6:35 am

Here are a couple of action shots of Dean working on Joe's guitar from Wednesday evening.

Trimming sides down. Hard to see pencil lines on the Boycote...easier on blue tape.

Joe, you're gonna love it!
Dale

verhoevenc

Post by verhoevenc » Fri Sep 11, 2009 11:18 am

Well I'll have to relinquish myself to simply watching swaps right now, cause I'm back in school and can't build :(
But this is fun to view!
Chris