Grand Concert for Freegift, Builder Swap

By Mr. Joe Sustaire of Talihina, OK
Dean Kumbalek
Include Off Topic: Yes

Re: Grand Concert for Freegift, Builder Swap

Post by Dean Kumbalek » Wed Aug 19, 2009 7:39 pm

That does look cool Joe!

You are really cooking. If this is the time and guitar to do a sound port- well then go for it.

What a treat watching this build!

Dean

Arnt

Post by Arnt » Thu Aug 20, 2009 8:04 am

I like your linings, Joe!

I have seen a similar style of linings where the thin 'cap’ strip is inlet into a matching ledge in the kerfed linings, so you get a flush, not stepped, front (clear as mud…?). I believe C. Fox uses this style of linings. Anyways, I like your take on it, but you might be interested to see how he does it.
Arnt Rian
rianguitars.com

Joe Sustaire

Post by Joe Sustaire » Wed Aug 26, 2009 8:15 pm

Thanks Arnt, that is where I read about this version of kerfing. The old grey cells aren't what they used to be, or maybe they never were! :D

I did decide to put a soundport in this one. I've never even played a guitar with one, so I reckon it's time to find out what all the noise is about. I laminated some black fishpaper, spruce, and another piece of walnut to reinforce the area and add a little decorative touch to the hole. Drew out the oval from a template and drilled 3/16" holes inside the line. Cut between the holes with the handled jigsaw blade I use to cut string slots on my bridges, and smoothed it out with some sandpaper wrapped around a dowel.

So that's how it looks. And then I cut notches in the kerfing and glued in my side reinforcements. One of those little things I occasionally forget to do. :D

All for now,
Joe
"I tell you we are here on earth to fart around, and don't let anyone tell you any different!"
Kurt Vonnegut

D_H_G GUITARS

Post by D_H_G GUITARS » Wed Aug 26, 2009 8:26 pm

Joe she's coming along very nicely, and I might try a build with your extra kerfing strip down the road on a future build.

Thxs
Hugh

Colin S

Post by Colin S » Thu Aug 27, 2009 4:22 am

Joe, it's coming along really well, how much do you think the capping on the linings stiffens everything up?

Colin
There's the Socratic acceptance of the limits of one's own knowledge, then there's ignorance.

Joe Sustaire

Post by Joe Sustaire » Sun Aug 30, 2009 6:35 pm

Thanks Hugh and Colin!

I feel they are quite a bit stiffer than my usual rims with reverse kerfing. Of course I don't have another set around right now to compare them to, so I'm just going on memory, and you know how that is, the guitar I just finished always seems like my best, at least right then. :D

The rims have just been hanging in my unregulated shop for a week or so, and after reading a thread on the OLF where some caution not to take them out of the mold until the top and back are on, I thought I'd better check them for movement. Slipped right back in the mold easy, so no movement.

Joe
"I tell you we are here on earth to fart around, and don't let anyone tell you any different!"
Kurt Vonnegut

Joe Sustaire

Post by Joe Sustaire » Wed Sep 02, 2009 7:26 pm

Since I went and made things difficult by staining the top before building, I thought I'd better try and protect it a bit.

So I tried this new to me handy dandy high dollar stick-um type cling film. We'll see. :D

And on to one of the most exciting parts of guitar-building, bracing the top. I'm following along with the soundbar/ladder type bracing I've been using, but adding a couple of ladders and some angles after seeing what Hanns has been doing on his builds.

Tone bars down and shaped, cross-grain reinforcement around the soundhole, paduke bridge plate and two ladders being glued.

The upper face brace is not radiused to keep the upper bout flat for the fretboard.

And tomorrow I get to start tapping and carving and see how this all works out, keep your fingers crossed. :D

Joe
Kurt Vonnegut

Dean Kumbalek

Post by Dean Kumbalek » Thu Sep 03, 2009 9:15 am

Looks mighty fine Joe! I like the looks of the soundport .

The ladder bracing sure has my interest. It will be enjoyable watching the carving process. I will be finishing bracing your top today. Pics later...

Nice work

Dean