Re-Building an Old Parlor

By Mr. Joe Sustaire of Talihina, OK
Dennis Leahy
Dishwasher
Include Off Topic: Yes

Re: Re-Building an Old Parlor

Post by Dennis Leahy » Tue Aug 04, 2009 7:05 am

Nice job, Joe! I like the look of the new bridge, although I also like the look as a flattop with a tailpiece. And, I'm with Dave on the idea that you gained a lot of valuable insight by doing this one both ways. The next time someone tells you that a flattop with a tailpiece cannot sound good, you'll know better, and, if you want to use a tailpiece, you'll have some experience to work from to get the bracing where it needs to be. Just remember, when you step off the path, you're liable to gain new perspective. :D
sustaireblues wrote: The bridge is made from poisonwood, which I don't know much about, but it seems about right in hardness and weight.

Joe
Black Poisonwood is Chechen or Chechem (Metopium brownei) from Mexico and Central America. A little bit oily (about like Mexican Cocobolo), which makes a nice surface sheen, and as you know polishes up nicely. Looks cool on this guitar!

Dennis
Dennis Leahy

George

Post by George » Tue Aug 04, 2009 3:04 pm

joe,

Nice job, I was surprised that the tailpiece didn't work out. I would have thought it would have been fine. I like tailpieces. I went back and looked at your bracing and wander it the brace near the sound hole would have been back toward the bridge more if it would have helped much. I was thinking that it had a tailpiece to start with, but I noticed it had a pin bridge. I have a couple of old parlors I need to redo. I will have to check to see if they are pin or tailpiece.

I love that old parlor great work restoring it.

George

Lefty

Post by Lefty » Tue Aug 04, 2009 5:24 pm

Looks great Joe!

Lefty
No money Nathan. No money Marty. Just a roof over my head and a rockin chair by the fire.
(Mose Harper)

Steve "Lefty" Leff

Joe Sustaire

Post by Joe Sustaire » Wed Aug 05, 2009 8:14 am

Thanks guys! It's still holding it's shape and has a really big sound to it, so looks like this worked.

And I'm with you on that Dave, taking chances/exploring is indeed how you learn and I've gradually come to understand that learning something new is a major part of what excites me in life. Which makes building guitars such a good fit for me, so much to learn. So far in following these forums I have come across many who know a lot and are willing to share, but no one who knows it all, and if someone gets to thinking they do, they get brought up short pretty quick by the next build. :D

Thanks for the info on poisenwood/chechen Dennis. I got a couple of pieces in a box of cut-offs from ebay, luckily it was marked.

Yeah George, I have a fondness for flat-top tailpiece guitars also. There were many of them in the 20's and 30's, but there is a big prejudice against them these days. I'm just drawn to the underdog. :D And I know they can work and sound good. I think this one needed a little thicker top and if the bracing is kept this light I would add another one in front of the bridge. Next time.

Thanks all,
Joe
"I tell you we are here on earth to fart around, and don't let anyone tell you any different!"
Kurt Vonnegut

George

Post by George » Wed Aug 05, 2009 12:55 pm

Thanks Joe,

I want to use a tailpiece on at least one of the old parlors I have. I really thought the tailpiece would take the stress off the top. Never thought about the downward pressure would be that much.

George