Ladder Braced Grand Concert, Build #7

By Mr. Joe Sustaire of Talihina, OK
Dennis Mitchell
Include Off Topic: Yes

Re: Ladder Braced Grand Concert, Build #7

Post by Dennis Mitchell » Sun May 10, 2009 11:19 am

Damn...look at Joe go! :mrgreen: Don't make me come up there...... ;) :lol:
Dennis Mitchell

"Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, a charm to sadness, gaiety and life to everything. It is the essence of order and lends to all that is good and just and beautiful."
PLATO

Joe Sustaire

Post by Joe Sustaire » Sun May 10, 2009 5:45 pm

Thanks Tom and Dennis!

Ron, I used these tuners on the pair of Ditson guitars I built, there pretty cheap and have the looks that fit for a vintage 20's to 30's era guitar which is what I like. Function-wise they work about like the old tuners did also, okay but not super smooth, and a little bit of slop on the occasional key. So definitely not Waverlys, (not that I've ever had any.) :D The Grover Sta-Tites function better, but if you want the 3 on a plate vintage look, they work at a reasonable price.

I think next time I'm going to go with the Grovers and change the metal beans for some ebony ones like Chris Paulick showed. I love the smoothness and open gear of the grovers but have always been bugged by the metal beans.

Thanks guys,
Joe
"I tell you we are here on earth to fart around, and don't let anyone tell you any different!"
Kurt Vonnegut

Ron

Post by Ron » Sun May 10, 2009 5:59 pm

Thanks Joe
thats is what I was asking for ..good info !thanks for taking the time man..

Ron
http://www.harpguitar.info" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
If you can think it, Ill try to make it

Joe Sustaire

Post by Joe Sustaire » Thu May 21, 2009 4:45 pm

All right, you know how it goes, 1 step forward 2 steps back.
I got the finish done and start final fitting of the neck, checking the alignment and flossing back and forth. Go to tighten it up one more time and hear a small crack. Pull off the neck and have a nice crack in front of the bottom barrel nut.

So I take some pics and post them on the OLF seeking repair advice. I went there because they had recently had a thread about reinforcing the Cumpiano tenon joint because of just this type of failure. This neck was already built but for sure next time it will have maple splines in the tenon. Maple side caps on the tenon or splines on each side of the bolt holes seems to be the recommended procedure.

Anyway cutting splines or removing tenon material for maple caps would have been difficult at this point because my fretboard was already on. So I plugged the lower holes with dowels and epoxy and used a 1/4" hanger bolt for the lower fastener. Not as elegant but functional. :D

It worked and feels solid so the guitar is together and playing! At last!!!

Just to re-fresh your memory, this is the bracing on the top.
So this is different than anything I've done. The top is pretty thin and so is the bracing so I decided to try a tail-piece on this one. I just used an old one that I had, a little rusty but classy.

And here are a bunch of photos...
I cut this floating bridge down from a rosewood Martin bridge I'd gotten off ebay one time. I think it turned out pretty elegant.

You can see here where I spliced in the wood to save this neck from my inattentive sanding! :D

And the good news...it seems to be very responsive. All the strings and notes seem even and loud. Sounds good bare fingered and with picks also, so maybe I got a winner!
I'll let it settle in and do some fine tuning and then maybe I can figure out how to post some sound.

Thanks for paying attention,
Joe
"I tell you we are here on earth to fart around, and don't let anyone tell you any different!"
Kurt Vonnegut

Ron

Post by Ron » Thu May 21, 2009 5:15 pm

Nice Job Joe..love it...
wish it was mine.... :D
http://www.harpguitar.info" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
If you can think it, Ill try to make it

Dennis Leahy
Dishwasher

Post by Dennis Leahy » Thu May 21, 2009 5:55 pm

Very cool, Joe! Looks like it was always meant to have that tailpiece on it. An instant classic!

Dennis
Dennis Leahy

JMPBuffalo

Post by JMPBuffalo » Thu May 21, 2009 8:13 pm

I agree with Ron and Dennis, Joe, it looks like a classy and classic guitar!

Joe
"Censorship? The whole principle is wrong; it's like demanding that grown men live on skim milk because the baby can't eat steak." Robert Anson Heinlein

DaveWhite

Post by DaveWhite » Fri May 22, 2009 7:04 am

Joe,

Nice recovery and that little beauty looks great - I bet she really growls !!
Dave White
De Faoite Stringed Instruments

". . . the one thing a machine just can't do is give you character and personalities and sometimes that comes with flaws, but it always comes with humanity" Monty Don talking about hand weaving, "Mastercrafts", Weaving, BBC March 2010