Let There Be 'Lectrics!

Yes, it's true, not all guitars are acoustics; some have single coils and some have buckers, and all of those have some serious electrons. Build 'em, work on 'em, mods, questions, Put 'em here!
steve cyr
Include Off Topic: Yes

Re: Let There Be 'Lectrics!

Post by steve cyr » Tue Apr 28, 2009 10:35 pm

tlguitars wrote:That Gold top is RAD!!! And the Cigar box git-box, I just giggle every time I see it cuz it's sooooo COOL!!!!
Thanks for that, but it took me two tries to get it that way - I don't get along well with painted finishes - both times I've tried it it turned out to be at least three times as much work as I thought it would be. I'm sticking to clear finishes from now on. :-)
Last edited by steve cyr on Wed Apr 29, 2009 1:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tlguitars

Post by tlguitars » Tue Apr 28, 2009 10:57 pm

Yeah Steve I know what you mean. Took me 45 guitars just to get simple translucent colors down. Burst are tougher yet, but I got em nailed now. Yeah the Gold on a SG with the Bigs is Killer!! Nice work.

steve cyr

Post by steve cyr » Sun May 03, 2009 3:17 pm

tlguitars wrote:Yeah Steve I know what you mean. Took me 45 guitars just to get simple translucent colors down. Burst are tougher yet, but I got em nailed now. Yeah the Gold on a SG with the Bigs is Killer!! Nice work.
Thanks!

Here's another one I finished about a year and a half ago. 4-string fretless bass, my own body design. I bought a killer piece of burl/quilt maple on Ebay, and a vine inlaid fingerboard from Bruce Wei in Taiwan - one of the guys who sells a lot of inlay stuff on Ebay. I ordered this one special, because he doesn't ever list bass fingerboards on Ebay. The body is alder, and the neck is a three-piece laminate of curly hard maple, with a curly maple overlay on the headstock.

The body and neck before finishing:

Image Image

The finished bass. The body was finished with KTM-9 polished to a high gloss. The neck was finished with Minwax Gloss Wipe-on Polyurethane.

Image Image

Image Image

steve cyr

Post by steve cyr » Sat May 23, 2009 4:14 pm

Finally finished and shipped the gold-top SG today. Here's some pix:

Dennis Mitchell

Post by Dennis Mitchell » Sat May 23, 2009 4:25 pm

I bet the Phat Cats sound killer! She looks great Steve. Nice work! :D
Dennis Mitchell

"Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, a charm to sadness, gaiety and life to everything. It is the essence of order and lends to all that is good and just and beautiful."
PLATO

steve cyr

Post by steve cyr » Mon May 25, 2009 6:20 pm

Dennis Mitchell wrote:I bet the Phat Cats sound killer! She looks great Steve. Nice work! :D
Thanks! Yes, she does sound good. One thing about this guitar - the customer has really big hands, so he wanted a 1-7/8" wide nut, and a fat boat neck profile. It felt like I was holding a LOG in my hand - almost like the neck of an upright bass. But surprisingly comfortable to play.