Reconfiguring the Maccaferri style guitar

Guitars by Grant Goltz of Hackensack, MN
Joe Sustaire
Include Off Topic: Yes

Re: Reconfiguring the Maccaferri style guitar

Post by Joe Sustaire » Fri Apr 10, 2009 8:37 pm

That sounds like a cool experiment with the torsion box sides Grant.
Is the idea behind the laminated sides and back in the maccaferri guitars, to make a really stiff box for the top to reflect off of? And is stiffness the goal for your torsion box sides?

Watching and learning,
Joe
"I tell you we are here on earth to fart around, and don't let anyone tell you any different!"
Kurt Vonnegut

whitespruce
Site Admin

Post by whitespruce » Fri Apr 10, 2009 8:39 pm

sustaireblues wrote:That sounds like a cool experiment with the torsion box sides Grant.
Is the idea behind the laminated sides and back in the maccaferri guitars, to make a really stiff box for the top to reflect off of? And is stiffness the goal for your torsion box sides?

Watching and learning,
Joe
Yes, as I understand it, and yes.

Hope you don't learn any bad habits from me :D

G

Dennis Mitchell

Post by Dennis Mitchell » Sat Apr 11, 2009 12:27 am

Ok Grant, ya got my attention. So save me a seat on the front row to watch this build! Got my Big Chief tablet and #2 pencil sharpened and ready. :lol: :mrgreen:
Dennis Mitchell

"Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, a charm to sadness, gaiety and life to everything. It is the essence of order and lends to all that is good and just and beautiful."
PLATO

Eben
Chairman Emeritus

Post by Eben » Sat Apr 11, 2009 11:21 am

I got some nice Claro veneer with a thicker inner layer from veneer supplies some time ago with this very axe in mind; was always planning to make a vacuum jig to do it up;

Hmmmm...

E
‘I love America - I just dont know how to get there anymore.’

John Prine

UrbanMonique Food Blog

whitespruce
Site Admin

Post by whitespruce » Sat Apr 11, 2009 12:35 pm

Eben wrote:I got some nice Claro veneer with a thicker inner layer from veneer supplies some time ago with this very axe in mind; was always planning to make a vacuum jig to do it up;

Hmmmm...

E
Hey E, Once I get this a bit more digested, I will loan you this book so you have the info on laminating backs and sides. It has a very detailed step-by-step in it for clamp laminating and also talks about vacuum laminating.

He uses a 3 layer lamination....good wood on the outside, a center crossgrain layer of yellow poplar, and an inside layer of mahogany.

He also states that much of the veneer currently available is quite a bit thinner (just like sliced bacon) than what was available to Maccaferri and suggests maybe using another layer of the outer wood.

G

Erik

Post by Erik » Sun Apr 12, 2009 1:17 am

Hey Grant,

I just visited a builder a few weeks ago who had made half a dozen of Maccaferri guitars, mostly the petit bouche. He mentioned that he felt they were quite heavily built with massive soundboard bracing. I think he ended up making he later builds a bit lighter than the originals. He also made the soundhole slightly larger.

I don't know if this is neither here nor there, but I thought I'd pass it one anyway.

Erik
If you can't do it, you can't do it

Kim

Post by Kim » Sun Apr 12, 2009 3:11 am

Hi Grant,

Just though you may like to take a look at Nick's latest posted at the ANZLF.

http://www.anzlf.com/viewtopic.php?t=1474

Not much info in the post but inspirational none the less. I am sure he would not mind a question or two if you have any.
Cheers

Kim

If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got.

Eben
Chairman Emeritus

Post by Eben » Sun Apr 12, 2009 8:20 am

THAT was it, G - That cool guy that owns veneer supplies recommended his thicker stock yellow Poplar for the middle layer, and that's why I got that Mahogany at the same time!

A mind is a terrible thing to waste, Eben...

:oops: :mrgreen:
‘I love America - I just dont know how to get there anymore.’

John Prine

UrbanMonique Food Blog