Olivia's Pink Paduak

Guitars by Ray Feissli of Fort Worth, Texas
Raymond

Re: Olivia's Pink Paduak

Post by Raymond » Mon Sep 01, 2008 10:57 pm

Assembling the Rim -

I really like the way that Steve Stevens uses his Versa Vice to hold the neck block while he clamps the sides to the neck block. So I went out and bought a Versa Vice of my own awhile back. However, until I actually take it out of the box and mount it to the table :( I have to use a different method. For this build I just glued the blocks on while in the mold.

My neck block has an overhanging section under the fretboard. I also use a mortise and tenon bolt-on neck with a through the soundhole access to the truss-rod. I used some scrap mahogany like neck wood. Could be mahogany, spanish cedar, Nara, or some similar looking woods somebody gave me. :|

Lightly sanded the rim with a radius dish to get the contour then glued on the basswood kerfing. You can see the plug in the back of the mortise which I cut on the table saw.

Flipped it over and did the same thing again. I use a 20 foot radius on the back and 28 foot radius on the front.

Marked the surface of the kerfing with a pencil and used the radius dishes to sand the rim until all the pencil marks were gone. I also glued in a couple of Paduak patches where the cracks had been repaired... just in case. I'd hate to get warranty work from my own daughter... :lol:

Raymond
I wondered why the baseball kept getting bigger. Then it hit me.

Raymond

Post by Raymond » Mon Sep 01, 2008 11:03 pm

D_H_G GUITARS wrote:Sorry Ray, I was trying to let ya in on a secret without trying to be too pushy. I know some rosewoods with alot of oils may bend ok at .085 or .090 but most wood likes to be down around .082" for good bending and cutaways will require around .078 this is my experience todate.

Padauk is a very nice sounding wood, almost a cross between walnut and maple sound too me. Very warm and soothing sound padauk is!

Great job Ray keep the pics coming.

Thxs
Hugh
Don't be sorry Hugh. I'm sorry for not going back and immediately reducing the thickness of the remaining side. I meant to, but forgot in the heat of the moment...

I was going to say something smart alec like 'you don't have to tell me twice... or I guess you do.' but I forgot that too after I bent the side inside out.

Raymond

PS. I like the sound of the Paduak guitar Steve had. And the Paduak at Woodcraft seemed to be fairly inexpensive also. I didn't want to stock up on too much until I experienced it though. This particular board is more pink than orange which worked out well for my daughter, although I expect it will eventually turn brown anyway.

Raymond

Post by Raymond » Mon Sep 01, 2008 11:59 pm

The Back -

After using a shooting board and No. 6 stanley to get a tight joint, I use the tape joining method I learned from Steve Stevens. Gets me a clean tight glue joint every time.

tape the back together stretching each piece of masking tape across the joint. You should be able to feel the tape stretch.

Flip it over apply glue and then tape the same as the back.

I hadn't acquired my Delta 18 yet so I borrowed Eben's.

Glued in the back brace.

Shaped the braces in the radius dish.

Took advantage of a moderate humidity day to glue them in using the gobar

Then shaped them with finger planes
and sanded up through 220 grit.

Raymond

Raymond

Post by Raymond » Tue Sep 02, 2008 11:01 pm

The Top -

The top is Curly Bear. Steve has had good success with it so when a smallish set became available on ebay I bought it.
Here it is after jointing, but before using it to destroy a belt on Eben's Delta 18.

Thinned it down and cut it out. Olivia is six and doesn't play guitar but likes the idea of daddy building her one, especially if it's pretty. Here are the accessories.

Used the dremel to cut the rosette channel

Used some pink abalone that I got off ebay.

Used a scraper to get it level and then cut out the soundhole with the dremel.

This pretty much catches this build up to date. It's been too humid to brace, but when not bending and rebending sides I've been cutting out brace stock.

Raymond

D_H_G GUITARS

Post by D_H_G GUITARS » Wed Sep 03, 2008 1:06 am

Ray very nice and one loving dad too boot!
Olivia will be so excited to receive a guitar from Daddy, even if she does not know how to play it yet. She will know daddy made it for me though!

Ray those pieces from Antoni (ebay) Vietnames?

Thxs
Hugh

Lefty
Include Off Topic: Yes

Post by Lefty » Wed Sep 03, 2008 1:13 am

Raymond,

Olivia is going to love that guitar.

Very nice job.

How did the top destroy the sander?

Lefty
No money Nathan. No money Marty. Just a roof over my head and a rockin chair by the fire.
(Mose Harper)

Steve "Lefty" Leff

Joe Sustaire
Include Off Topic: Yes

Post by Joe Sustaire » Wed Sep 03, 2008 7:37 am

Looking good Raymond,

What a treat for Daddy's little girl! Very special.

Joe
"I tell you we are here on earth to fart around, and don't let anyone tell you any different!"
Kurt Vonnegut

Raymond

Post by Raymond » Wed Sep 03, 2008 8:27 am

D_H_G GUITARS wrote:Ray very nice and one loving dad too boot!
Olivia will be so excited to receive a guitar from Daddy, even if she does not know how to play it yet. She will know daddy made it for me though!

Ray those pieces from Antoni (ebay) Vietnames?

Thxs
Hugh
Thanks Hugh. Yes I believe it was Antoni. He had several 'make an offer' bids and was very reasonable. The pink shell is pretty thin in spots, but overall I've been pleased with the quality.

Raymond

edited by Raymond 1 time to add statement about quality.
Last edited by Raymond on Wed Sep 03, 2008 8:42 am, edited 1 time in total.