Not Dead!

Yes, it's true, not all guitars are acoustics; some have single coils and some have buckers, and all of those have some serious electrons. Build 'em, work on 'em, mods, questions, Put 'em here!
Eben
Chairman Emeritus
Include Off Topic: Yes

Re: Not Dead!

Post by Eben » Sat Dec 27, 2008 12:18 pm

"Indy my good friend; I am so pleased to see that you are not dead!"

;) :lol:

E
‘I love America - I just dont know how to get there anymore.’

John Prine

UrbanMonique Food Blog

Green Mountain Guitars

Post by Green Mountain Guitars » Sat Dec 27, 2008 1:42 pm

Thanks for checking in Randy! We miss you sometimes. :mrgreen:

Glen

Kim

Post by Kim » Sat Dec 27, 2008 4:45 pm

Very cool Randy, I love the sound of a Weissy and I really like the look of yours, nice work. That is an amazing bit of wood you have there (of course) and Dennis is spot on, that will look incredible under a finish. For those not familiar with Weissenborn style guitars, and for those who are but would like inspiration, check out Jeff Lang on Youtube.

You will probably notice that unlike Randy's cool solid body, Jeff Lang's instrument is your common variety of acoustic style of Weissenborn where the body is similar to that of a normal steel string acoustic guitar with the neck also forming part of the sound chamber. If you look close you will see why Randy states there is no steel frets, with an action that high who needs them.

This track: Elvis is dead.

For those who enjoyed that clip, I thought you may also enjoy another piece from Jeff Lang this time played on acoustic guitar, this guy is no slouch with either style of instrument and is one of those artist that will have you spending more time on youtube watching his clips than you planned.

This track is a cover of Richard Thompson's : 1952 Vincent Black Lightning

And as inspiration for Randy another acoustic Weissenborn number from John Butler, this track : Treat yo Mama with Respect.

Cheers

Kim

If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got.

expatluthier

Post by expatluthier » Sat Dec 27, 2008 9:07 pm

There's a video on YouTube of Cindy Cashdollar and Sonny Landreth doing "Hard Time Killin' Floor". She's playing a solid body Weiss, and it sounds great. Have no idea who made it though.
Very funny that you should mention Cindy Cashdollar with respect to this instrument, as it was her music that inspired the build. I was first planning a Resonator and scanned the web for some music. I tripped across Cindy Cashdollar's "Slide Show" album and got hooked. I remember writing a PM to Eben asking about her, as he is a resident Texan as well. Guess she's a minor legend in the hill country. So....I checked out her website where her favourite instruments and builders are listed. Cindy's Weiseenborn Lapsteel is made by Asher Guitars, where I promptly went to copy the basic idea of Asher's "Ben Harper" model.

Funny how this stuff works! :D
"Friendship is like peeing on yourself: everyone can see it, but only you get the warm feeling that it brings" - Unknown

Dennis Mitchell

Post by Dennis Mitchell » Sun Dec 28, 2008 1:44 am

I just went and had a look at Asher's web site. Nice lap steels indeed! Even more funny, it was a Weissenborn build that got me started in all this lutherie stuff! :mrgreen:
Dennis Mitchell

"Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, a charm to sadness, gaiety and life to everything. It is the essence of order and lends to all that is good and just and beautiful."
PLATO

Glenn

Post by Glenn » Fri Jan 02, 2009 5:47 pm

Awesome axe Randy!!!

Glenn
Glenn Bosshard
http://www.hulamonkey.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - Hand built ukuleles
http://www.planetserenity.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - Products to Nourish the Soul

My religion consists of a humble admiration of the illimitable superior spirit who reveals himself in the slight details we are able to perceive with our frail and feeble mind. A. Einstein

Dennis Mitchell

Post by Dennis Mitchell » Fri Jan 02, 2009 8:27 pm

Just to play the Devil's advocate, here's a lap reso built by a fellow I met at the Harp Guitar Gathering in '07.
http://www.bmsguitars.com/index.php?act ... he&fch=23#
He lives in Belgium, and build some very nice instruments, from harp guitars, to solid body electrics.
Dennis Mitchell

"Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, a charm to sadness, gaiety and life to everything. It is the essence of order and lends to all that is good and just and beautiful."
PLATO