Steve, I plan on doing just that.
OK, I took Pat's advice on thr rosette and here is the result. Since the top is spruce, I figured that wpruce bark would be a logical choice. Besides, I knew it would yield an interesting pattern. Fortunately, I still have a couple of split spruce half logs in the shop. They are dry so the bark is tight, but with a bit of wetting and heat from the clothes iron, I was able to carefully remove a square of bark.
I ironed it flat and sanded it down.
Could have picked a more contrasting background.
I sanded the front down to a smooth and interesting surface and sanded the back to further thin the piece. Used the ROS with 60 grit. Then I gave it a coat of shellac to stabilize it.
I cut out a rosette ring with a carbide downcut bit
Here it is just laid on the top for looks
Routed a channel and glued it in. Then I routed a 1/16" groove on each side for a b/w veneer purfling
Here is the final result
I am very pleased, Thanks Pat for the suggestion